Saturday 16 May 2020

Hügelkultur raised garden beds

So as I said, I am living with my girlfriend at her fathers place as he had some health issues at the end of last year. My lovely girlfriend wanted to be close to her father while he recovered. In that time I noticed there was a garden bad that was pretty empty.



First off I had to "move" those sweet pine trees that were pretty much brown. Then I had to save that "amazing" red mulch and move it to another garden bed. Sure, it's not my house I get it.



How To Hügelkultur


I really wanted to do a Hugelkultur bed as the dirt in the yard is hard clay and pretty used up. Most people don't really know what this is - so here's a quick video that explains it well.




So I found some old fence boards and staked out my garden bed.





I then had to trench the bed so I can fill it with all the sticks and leaves that had fallen in the yard.



Then I had to fill it with sticks and leaves.



Once I used up all the sticks I then filled the garden bed with leaves


I then had to cover the leaves with dirt, a lot of dirt. 



When you are covering the sticks and leaves with dirt, the dirt will settle and fall into the nooks and crannies. You will have to fill the bed, let it set, then fill it again. I had to do this about twice, then spot fill the low spots. 



No comments:

Post a Comment